...getting it out there.

My way to "just go with it"...

Sunday, March 12, 2006

"Just another time, I hold my tears, for another year, on my way back home..."

I'm not even sure what to say right now...so I'm just going to start talking about this weekend, and hope that everything gets said.

LeeAnn, Abby and I were the lone troopers to Individual States this year. We're pretty much hard core/a big deal/amazing/obsessed with Veitch. Anyway, after my car locked itself with the keys still in it and Kallen bailing me out, Abby and I departed for LeeAnn's, which then led to a Beaner's stop, and a bathroom break with Subway somewhere on I-75, and we finally pulled into the Palace of Auburn Hills about 2pm. Bought tickets, good seats, caught the entire Grand March (for possibly the first time ever), and saw the first round of wrestling. I don't remember anything particularily exciting happening, it was just long because each weight class has 8 matches in that round, so it went from 3-10pm. Helbig lost which was a downer because I had him in for my 145lb. champ, but I just tell myself that he was heartbroken by Levi not being there. The Twins both taughts some novices how to wrestle, and the night was good. After turning around no less than 13 times en-route to our hotel and finally checking in, we then drove to Royal Oak where we caught the last minutes of some mexican places kitchen being open and we met Josh's friends Justin and Nate (Nate Shattuck, who I'd seen around back in the days of high school). Originally, we were going to have dinner with them, go back to the hotel and call it a night, but we didn't really have to be there at 8am since the Twins and DuPont both won, so instead we went to Josh's and drank beer/tequila/wine for awhile. Back to hotel. Sleep.

Friday: Got there around 11:15, right as the championship quarterfinals were starting, and just after Helbig lost a second time to not place at states. Cody Rize, Josh's Livonia kid, also lost to not place, so that was disappointing. I never did see him wrestle. (I did see one match on Thursday night, but he looked pathetic, which is atypical.) Wins from DuPont and the Twins again (Eddie beat Marty Geldhof (Ionia) 7-1 and I told Josh the only reason he let it go 6 minutes was because he needed to cut weight), so we cut out early because the last part of that session is consolation semifinals, and we were all really tired and didn't really have anybody we wanted to watch. Bought posterboard, back to hotel, naptime for an hour. Back to the Palace where we watched the championship semifinals (the round that gets the guys into the finals). DuPont beat Bedes (Mason) on a shady takedown at the end of the 3rd to tie it up, and took him down in OT. It was crazy. At 160 Mason had double weighed in Burge and Craft and they met in that round. Craft sucks, but won, and we all felt sad for Burge because he's really good and kinda got screwed for the entirety of the "playoff season". At some point he was bumped up to 189 for a match(for the team), and the coaches must have overlooked the fact that he was no longer going to be eligible to wrestle 152 (there are a lot of regulations when it comes to acceptable weights), and had to go 160 from then on. Not that speculation means anything, but honestly Burge could have won 152 - there wasn't anyone in that bracket! Aaron Hynes (Flint Kearsley) lost to Blake Birmingham (Lakeview) in the finals and the Szuch kid from Airport who is decent took 3rd. The Twins both won, Eddie beating Alex Fleet (Lowell) who is terrible, and who's family was sitting immediately behind us. Anyway, after that got over (at 10) we went back to Josh's where Stephanie met us there and we drank all kinds of concoctions. There was PBR (and beer pong), Everclear, vanilla Smirnoff, Stoli Oranj, Burnett's Mango (that was us, haha), 1800 Reposado, grenadine, peach Schnapps...good times. Abby went to see Alex, and when she got back she and LeeAnn went back to the hotel and left Stephanie and I there. We stole John's bed. At 5am.

Saturday - Woke up at 10:45 to a text from LeeAnn asking where I was/if we were OK. Steph took me back to the hotel where I proclaimed my woke-up-drunk hair too good looking to justify washing it, changed clothes and checked out. We made it to the 4th session in time for the final 3rd-8th medaling matches. We killed time in between by going to Red Robin in Troy before hitting up the finals in time for the Grand March. I had bought tickets for Abby's parents, Alan, and Stephanie before we'd left for Red Robin and promptly forgot to get money from any of them (except Alan, but he needed an ATM so he still owes me), and by the time Steph got there, she didn't even need a ticket. So that was a solid $40 that I'm probably not going to see again, haha. I crafted posters for Eddie and Alex while we waited/during the first few matches (using my twistable crayons!!) that turned out rather nicely for the conditions and circumstances. Alex's was red, black, white and a yellow-orange, and I put "SMOKIN'" on there with flames coming off of it. Then I wrote "He CAN touch M.C. Hammer", and "You're okwithme". ("okwithme" is his psychotic mothers mlive name, and she posts things all the time! She's ridiculous!) Eddie's used gray (which only showed up if you were right next to it), indigo, and blue, and had blue flames coming off the bottom with "PHILLIPS" coming out of them, "Eddie" across the top in script, and on either side of his name I wrote "He doesn't sleep... ...he waits". (That and the M.C. Hammer one for Alex were stolen from Chuck Norris jokes that are precalent amongst the college kids.) A few minutes after I finished Eddie's, this woman came by and was telling me how much she liked them and how talented I was and asking if they were my brothers. She was nice. I like compliments on things like artsiness and music. Aaaaanyway, not really anything that I'm noting right now that blew my mind in the finals (except that DuPont won, but it blew my mind that he was even placing so I kind of felt like anything could happen)(and we got to see the 2nd Saturday Night Ride of the weekend, but that could have been in the consolation finals), but after a lot of heartbeats and a bout of fatigue around 140#, the Twins were up.

In all honesty, Alex wrestled like crap. He didn't try to do anything but try to throw a headlock and it never worked but he wasn't trying anything else. He just looked beat the entire match. Eddie won 8-3, and they got a standing ovation from the Palace full of people who have no idea what those boys have to go through and nobody having any concept of what they could have possibly been thinking or feeling. I'm not even trying to say that I have any insight into it except that we kind of know surface things that Veitch has shared, or that Alex told Abby. Afterwards we found them for congratulations (Abby didn't get to talk to Alex and she was justifiably really upset about it), gave them their posters and went to have milkshakes with Steph before we went home (we were giving Alan a ride back to his dorm). Trying to find Steph's car, we stumbled upon Veitch & Co., and Eddie definitely humped my previously unnamed car, no called "Edwin Forrest" - "Eddie" for short. Went to Steak'N'Shake, drove Alan back to campus, dropped off LeeAnn, took Abby home, and now I'm here. Thinking about the Twins and this weekend and that whole mess. And just sitting here being in a weird place.

I'm updating my facebook but will have to do it more tomorrow because it's not how I want it yet. I want pictures from this weekend but I didn't bring a camera, and Abby and LeeAnn both had theirs but I'm not sure how many pictures were involved. I immediately regret not having taken more of the 3 of us...we had a good time, and it would be amazing to have documented being there together. I have a feeling that things are only going to be different now. I don't know. It's my weirdness tonight maybe? The whole tournament just had an oddness about it this year. It was remarkably unremarkable. And we had 2 champs, something that has never happened before, and I was like...yeah...that's cool. Because both of them were tainted almost. Which sucks for Eddie and Cody because it's not their fault! Cody is a really nice kid with the best intentions, his parents are just indescribably obnoxious, and so he's gotten some of that and his socially inept to boot. And Eddie has worked his ass off for 13 years to get this; what shittiness made him have to wrestle his twin brother in the finals, who he is in essence estranged from? And Alex...I don't know what to think. It's such a weird, complicated situation with he and Abby. I think I understand it, I think Abby and I have discussed it enough and I can understand people well enough that I can comprehend the whole thing. I just can't make sense of it.

In drunkness on Friday, Stephanie said she was talking about me with Josh, and he said that "he likes being liked". Which is fine, great, acceptable, etc. Here's where I turn into a girl: I don't want to be just another girl that likes him. As I told Opie, I don't need to be The Girl, but I'm not going to settle for being just A Girl either. And I don't think I am, but there's always that nagging in my dome...

Anyway, more later. I got smoked in our Champ Competition and I'll have to post that. But it's bed time. Long weekend. Stressed. Weird Place.

*Songs*
"Left Coast Envy" - The Starting Line
"All At Once" - The Fray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home