...getting it out there.

My way to "just go with it"...

Monday, August 21, 2006

It makes my heart hurt.

Crash victim loved family, motorcycle rides
Friday, August 18, 2006
By Ken Kolker
The Grand Rapids Press
GRAND RAPIDS TOWNSHIP -- Herbert Pett and his son rode motorcycles together in a bikers' hunger rally and often spent weekends riding along the Lake Michigan shoreline.

On Thursday, the 51-year-old Lowell man was killed when a station wagon pulled in front of his Harley Davidson. Pett was thrown from his cycle in the crash at Crahen Avenue and Bradford Street NE, Kent County sheriff's deputies said.

"He loved his bike," said his son, Nathan. "It was something he loved to do."

The driver of the station wagon, 73-year-old David C. Wolford, was headed north on Crahen about 12:50 p.m. when he pulled over in the intersection to let an ambulance pass, deputies said. He then made a quick left turn to go west on Bradford, pulling into the path of the northbound motorcycle, according to deputies. The cycle hit the car broadside.

Pett worked for 26 years at Alticor Inc. in Ada Township, where he was a third-shift set-up mechanic in the cosmetics facility, said his son, who also works there. "Everyone there knew me as Herb's son," Nathan Pett said.

He was a hard-working family man who loved spending time with his grandchildren, his son said.

At the time of the crash, he was headed to his second job selling cell phones at Basic Communications, 2751 Alpine Ave. NW, his son said.

"He was the kind of guy who always had to be busy," he said.

Among his survivors are his children, Nathan, Christopher, Thomas and Melissa. Services were pending.


I think my heart hurts for several reasons, but I think this might be one of the bigger current ones. I wonder how Tommy's doing, and wish I could make the pain go away for him. It's funny how human nature always wishes to make the pain go away. Not funny; interesting.

I woke up today with a sad heart. It was sad yesterday too, but I figured out it was because I had a foot-in-mouth problem the night before with Andy and I felt badly about it. I guess my heart has been sad for several months if I look back and think about it, but who knows. It's been strong in the last few days. Seeing Geoff on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday helped but when I don't know what hurts, he can only do so much. Laughter only fixes so much.

I've got to find my phone. I left it at Ben's when I went to work this morning and still have to locate it. Apparently Thao left me another voicemail; at least according to her triple wall posting on facebook that I just got. So I'm looking forward to hearing that. She had to have read my last post, so she'll probably see this one too. Good times.

A bit feverish today, and can't walk as well as I'd like to. I'm hoping that it passes...I definitely can not afford to take time off of work right now. I'm in debt past my ears and the last 3 weeks have been especially unfruitful at Friday's Downtown. Thank God that money season is almost here. I'm almost over having to take another semester off, only because by the end of it I won't owe anybody any money, Ben will possibly know what he'll be doing, I will have advanced my personal self-analysis and made the appropriate changes in order to satiate my desire for intrinsic happiness, Cassidy will be in the immediate vicinity, and I'll be able to walk normally. At the very least.

When did life become more than finding someone to play Barbies with? And why do we feel the need to make it that way? That's not to say your adult life should be spent living at home and getting toys, but why does your job, and school, and dealing with other people have to be time consuming, stressful, and usually full of drama? When I've consciously thought about it reducing the amount of mental energy used on nonsense in my life, it's remarkably easy to do. Drama is not at all hard to avoid as long as you keep yourself out of it, and are self-aware enough to know where it's going to be before it progresses from the roots. Some people feed off of drama, possibly because it makes them feel purposeful to concern themselves with everyone else. I find myself happier when I'm feeding off of knowledge and observation, and getting into other people's lives only to learn from them. Sometimes in order to learn I've had to include drama, but even then it's drama that is easy enough to get out of. ...I'm not sure if that made sense.

I'm tired and have to take out some trash and find my phone, and figure out why Rumple threw up everything he just ate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home